[wplug] samba & large file transfer = slow computer?

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Mon Feb 13 09:35:56 EST 2006

Michael P. O'Connor wrote:
> I have a problem that when I start to transfer any larger sized file
> (over 1GB) over my network via the smb protocol to the linux box, my
> computer gets an odd behaviored, it will work fine for about 20 seconds
> then for the next minute it will go slow, then reset to the 20 second
> and 1 minutes.  does any one know  what is causing this and how to fix
> this problem,  and when I say slow I mean that the computer is pretty
> much frozen at that time, so I don't get much work done on it when it is
> like that.  When I transfer from it is not a problem.

I'd like to learn more about your setup.  What OS are you transferring
from (e.g. Windows -> Linux gives problems, Linux -> Windows works
great).  Does this problem occur when transferring from any computer to
said Linux box, or is it specific to just one computer?

Do the Samba log files on the Linux box give you any hints?

Dane

--
Dane Miller
Technology Coordinator