[wplug] samba & large file transfer = slow computer?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 13 09:22:50 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 09:08 -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> Also, if you run top(1) or something to monitor your disk activity, does
> odd occur?  Sounds like it could be a case of the disk cache stalling.

If you want to get a bit more fine grained of an analysis, dstat[1]
provides some great tools to get at that.  It lets you watch the disk
status on individual drives/partitions/devices, track interrupts,
network i/o, all sorts of fun stuff.  It's basically a very souped up
version of vmstat.  I highly recommend it if you're really trying to
figure out what's going on in your system.  Understanding performance
issues from just looking at top values or you system load can be a
little difficult, dstat breaks it up nicely.

--Patrick

[1] http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/dstat/