[wplug] photo paper printing using CUPS

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 23:32:18 EST 2006

Has anyone been able to print 4x6 photos on borderless photopaper using CUPS?

I have an HP PSC 2175.  I'm using a modern version of cups (v1.2,
debian testing).  I have _no_ problems printing normal (letter) jobs
nor scanning (both work well).  According to the cups page, here the
make and model of the drivers:
HP PSC 2175 Foomatic/hpijs - HPLIP 1.6.10

So, it seems I have things set-up correctly.  For the life of me, I
can't get high resolution photos to print on 4x6 photo paper.  I've
done a good bit of online doc searching, but haven't found anything
very specific - nor any suggestion that worked.

Now, I know this printer is capable of it (so it's not a printer
hardware issue).  Using a crufty print photo from memory card - I got
a pretty borderless image on my photo paper.

Things I've tried include:
 - printing using a GUI (f-spot) and a "4x6" paper size directly to the printer
 - making a "correct" sized postscript as suggested at:
   http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/printing-user-hp/2004/004658.html
 - specifying a bunch of options directly to lpr based on lpoptions commands

All of these failed in various ways, and I tweaked a bunch of more
minor settings.

 Anyone have any ideas?  Is anyone successfully printing glossy photos
using a different method / printer under linux?

TIA.

Cameron