[wplug] Pittsburgh Ruby User Group

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 10:41:19 EST 2006

Hey Greg,

On 12/16/06, Greg Simkins <gregsim at telerama.com> wrote:
> I would like to give it a try.  I am not familiar with Ruby, but I have
> heard enough about it to be interested.  My interest is in web development.

well, to be fair, ruby isn't just for web development - but it's very
commonly used in such a setting.  Rails (aka ruby on rails) has seen a
lot of popularity / notoriety lately - but there are several other
frameworks and libraries that can be utilized as alternatives (some of
which I personally like better).

I think discussing rails in the ruby group is great, but I don't want
to just focus on it and I wanted to clearly draw the line in the sand
that Rails is just a web framework implemented in ruby so they are
actually separate beasts.

Cameron

p.s. I'm actually going to miss this first meeting, but I'll hopefully
be around more later.