[wplug] Asterisk Forum?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Dec 22 10:10:50 EST 2006

> Christopher DeMarco wrote:

> >> using > SIP to send a FAX... why don't you use email?
> >>
> >> Probably because a lot of people know how to use a fax, and their
> >> business
> >
> > I meant it facetiously :-)
>
> While all this thought sounds quite nice and seems to prove the fax over
> SIP doesn't work, it falls down hard when you look at the glaring fact
> that vonage provides fax service...via SIP.  Perhaps they are using a
> different codec, but regardless, its is fax over SIP.

*shrug*  Nothing has fallen down.

I stated in my first email response that there are a number of workarounds
possible (theoretically) but no standards that I'm aware of.  If Vonage
developed their own Fax-capable codec, it's not standard SIP at that point.

But Vonage isn't VoIP anyway.  It's just a VoIP gateway to the PSTN.  If
you want to do true VoIP connecting to other VoIP customers, you can't
use fax unless you can find and agree on a lossless codec.  It is
possible that my information is dated and that there is a lossless codec
available.  Try to integrate Vonage into an existing VoIP system ...

Vonage's ability to create their own standards doesn't prove or disprove
anything.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.