[wplug] Asterisk Forum?

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Dec 21 12:42:10 EST 2006

>> If you are using SIP to send a fax, you are doing another
>> analog->digital and then digital->analog conversion, and you're
>> using a protocol not designed to handle the analog medium required.
>> It shouldn't be a surprise it doesn't work.
>
> My brain turned itself inside out when I read this.  If you're using
> SIP to send a FAX... why don't you use email?

Probably because a lot of people know how to use a fax, and their business
practices are set up to use a fax.  Sending the same information in an
email would break their business practices, and probably confuse / anger
technophobic customers.

At least a lot of modern fax systems also are scanners, and some even have
software to allow you to create an email from the scan.  Still, when you
are a business, you have to cater to your customers.