[wplug] Asterisk Forum?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Dec 21 11:17:35 EST 2006

> Does anyone know of an Asterisk User Group.  We’ve got a trixbox server
> up and running and aren’t able to configure Fax to work with SIP.

Do you know of specific workarounds that will allow fax to work over SIP?

It's been a few years since I've worked with *, but (at the time) the
basic answer was, "you can't fax over VoIP"  The reason is that all
VoIP transmission protocols use lossy compression.  You can't hear it,
as it's too subtle, but the loss is enough that fax data becomes
corrupt.  Theoretically, there are ways to work around this, but I'm
not aware of any actual implementation.

To answer your other two questions:
1) I don't know of any * user groups in WPA.
2) I'm not a fan of web forums, but I found the help available on
   the official * forums to be pretty top-notch.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.