[wplug] Linux Class at Community College (CIT-220)

Ian Robertson robeis1822 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 17 14:27:47 EST 2006

I am preparing to take the final exam for this Linux class tomorrow (Monday 12/18) at CCAC North Campus. I've taken 9 computer classes at CCAC so far, and this Linux class was the most challenging and most interesting by far. Even still, like many of the CIT classes, it had a watered down feeling to it. The professor's plan looked a lot like the course outline you have on your website, but because some of the students were struggling, I think he cut some corners. It was a three hour evening class. He would give us time at the end of class to do our homework assignments together.

We used this book - http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Linux-Installation-Administration-Second/dp/0619130954
Every class the professor told us how much he hated the book, but by the end of the semester, I think he changed his mind a little...

We did some work with Red Hat 9 but mostly Fedora Core 5 after he got permission for us to install it in the labs.

Overall, I would say the course would be great for someone with just a little Linux experience, challenging for someone with no Linux experience, and a fun review with some new tricks for someone with a lot of Linux experience...

Greg Simkins <gregsim at telerama.com> wrote:       Anybody interested in taking a formal, 3-credit  class in Linux at Community College South Campus (or know  somebody else that would be interested)?  The class provides  a pretty thorough overview of the basics of Linux - perhaps you don't need to be  a keyboard commando to operate Linux.

 I am scheduled to teach the class on Tuesday  evenings starting January 16 and lasting 14 weeks.  The cost is about $300  for county residents plus $80 for the textbook.  The class is described  at:  http://www.cit220.org/.  For  persons not previously enrolled at CCAC, it will be necessary to appear in  person at any CCAC campus for initial admission and first-time  registration.  To avoid prerequisites, I can send you an email granting  permission to enroll.  I would like to have a sentence about your good  basic computer knowledge to use as a basis for the waiver of  prerequisites.

 Feel free to email me with questions.

 Greg Simkins

http://mail.yahoo.com