[wplug] Klipmart.com / macromedia , invading my privacy?

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Fri Dec 15 11:01:05 EST 2006

#3 may be illegal under the DMCA :-D

> Really being free requires hard work and knowledge.  Lately it seems
> like a lot of people are asking this question: "how can I be sure
> ... X"

Unfortunately, "really being free" is a lot like "really being secure"
-- there is a break-even point beyond which you're spending more on
vigilance than you're receiving from that which you're protecting.
The extreme example is the truly-secure but truly-useless unpowered
computer behind a brick wall.

People like Bruce Schneier advocate "risk analysis", the process of
looking at exactly what you're protecting, how much you stand to lose
if it's compromised and how much inconvenience comes with enforcement.
The original framers of the US government instituted a system of
checks and balances whereby an overreaching official could be
restrained; strict regimentation to ensure that true democracy and
pure benevolence reigned in every aspect of public life -- this would
be a form of tyranny.

A healthy dose of paranoia is good for you, but it's possible to go
overboard.  That way lies not madness, but over-attention to process.
The means are just means; if they obscure the end they're no good.

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)