[wplug] Gmail and spam?

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Dec 13 08:38:35 EST 2006

On 12/13/2006 08:31 AM, scoob8000 wrote:
> Might be too late, but I really don't know.

Cats out of the bag.  It is hard to get out of spammer's bag of email
addresses.

> It won't help you now, but I read an interesting tip in Maximum PC a few
> issues ago.
>
> Whenever you sign up for something and use your gmail address, you can
> add a tag.  Example:   " johndoe+somewebforum at gmail.com
> <mailto:johndoe+somewebforum at gmail.com>"  Gmail will still deliver the
> message to you, but now you can make filters based on the "To" address.
> And you'll know exactly who is selling your address..   :)
>
> -Mike

This is an excellent suggestion, but keep in mind that you often have to
*post* with the same address as you're subscribed, which can make
posting a bit more difficult for some mailing lists.

Also, I've run into dozens of idiot web forms that don't allow '+' as a
valid character in the user part of the email address (before the @).  I
usually have to email the administrator, sometimes even point out RFCs.
  The worst is when everything works fine until you try to unsubscribe
and the form doesn't accept the +.

We can defeat gravity.  The problem is the paperwork involved.