[wplug] Linux software RAID

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 8 23:03:17 EST 2006

Hi,

I have a friend with a RAID 1 (mirroring) and a drive that's dying.

I went to yank the drive and tried to add another, but the system
wouldn't boot.  I then added the extra drive as a third disk in the
SCSI chain and booted.  Then I tried to remove the second drive
using some instructions with mdadm, but the system refused to
remove the drive.  Something about resources inaccessible or
something.

I have a set of other instructions discussing raidhotadd, but
that utility isn't in the system.  A guess of
"yum install raidtools" didn't help either.  So before I spend
an hour looking around ftp sites and blogs, can anyone tell
me what package I need for this utility?

Thanks,

--
Tom Rhodes