[wplug] ATI 9250 vs. Matrox G450

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Wed Aug 30 19:23:17 EDT 2006

Just an FYI

I ran the Radeon 9200 card for quite some time.
It is an AGP 8X card with 128MB RAM.

I used it on a 2.2GHz Athlon XP system.

It could run Enemy Territory (based on Quake 3 engine) at a 43FPS most of the
time.  I capped my FPS at 43 because the card could rarely do 76FPS.
Those who do Quake3 engine games will know what I'm talking about.

It also did a decent job running GTK Radiant which is used to do level design.

The best part was having the drivers in the kernel modules and not having to
do anything after a kernel upgrade.

The Nvidia card kicks butt with an easy 76FPS cap but it is a pain to get it
working after a kernel update.

Let me know how the 9250 works out as it's always good to keep a few Linux
compatable cards laying about and those can be had fairly cheaply.

-Bob