[wplug] ATI 9250 vs. Matrox G450

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 29 16:02:47 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 15:59 -0400, Ben Beige wrote:
> Hmm the dual head g450 I have I knw I coudln't get o work w/ quake 3,
> and was informed that it didn't do 3D, ohh well

There's a distinction between not doing 3D and having only very little
and poor support for it.  In the Matrox G400/G450 series, it's the
latter.  I still have a G400 going quite well in one of my boxes --
while it's not enough to do XGL bling, it's enough to do some 3d
programming and run google earth.  Heck, even the Matrox Mystique series
card that I had in my computer in 1997 had some basic 3d support.  I
remember buying Motoracer because it had support for Matrox Mystique 3d
acceleration.  Those smoke effects were cool.  Of course, my $100
GeForce 6800 blows it out of the water.

--Patrick