[wplug] ATI 9250 vs. Matrox G450

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Aug 29 14:29:55 EDT 2006

Hi all-

A fried motherboard has pushed me into a question - which performs
better under Linux/X, a Matrox G450 or an ATI Radeon 9250-based
card (e.g.,
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121525>)?

It seems obvious that the older Matrox card should be slower, but I
don't have any real-world experience to support that.  Neither of
them are particularly speed demons, but I don't play any fancy
games - I'd just like something that works reasonably well for
Celestia and the like.

Note that I would not be using proprietary drivers for either card.
Oh, and if anyone has a card in this performance range they want to
unload for cheap, let me know.  Thanks.