[wplug] The evilness of it all (Verizon OT post)

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Sat Aug 26 09:31:09 EDT 2006

D. Joe wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 05:54:54AM -0400, Zach wrote:
>
>> A huge American company taking advantage of consumers - what a
>> shock! Thank God the FCC for once is doing something right. They
>> usually side with interests of big business.
>
> Not so fast--did you wonder that maybe the cable companies or VoIP
> companies put them up to it? ;-)

I think one thing worth considering is that the Universal Service Fund
was essentially a kickback to the telecoms all along.  As I understand
it, the USF is a pool of money that goes to expanding the reach and
infrastructure of our telecom system.  Well guess where all that money
goes?  Right back to the Verizon's and the ATT's to upgrade the edges of
their network.

I'm not trying to defend Verizon.  But from their point of view, that
was $2.70 a month they had been getting for a long time.  Now, the fund
is going to be restructured.  This way will be more direct.  Straight to
accounts receivable!

Mike