[wplug] the high cost of living -- and adaptations thereto

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 10:41:31 EDT 2006

I live in Los Angeles and pay $1200 for a one bed
apartment. Many people room with others, rather
than pay that sort of rent. It's very common in
L.A. to rent just a bedroom for four or five
hundred, or even to rent just the bed or sofa for
a few hundred per month. I met a young accountant
who shared a bedroom with another fellow; there
were two beds in the same bedroom; he paid $300
for his share of the bedroom; several others rented
out the sofa and other beds. This is common practice
here. People often buy houses with the express intent
of renting out bedrooms to help with their mortgage
payments. When a house sells for $700,000 and upward,
one needs all the help one can get.

--- James O'Kane <jo2y at midnightlinux.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Zach wrote:
>
> > You all have some pretty good jobs if you can
> afford to spend $1,200,
> > $1,600 etc on housing each month. I'd be glad to
> have a gross monthly
> > income of what you just pay in rent ! LOL~ How do
> poor people survive
> > in your areas?
>
> I think they commute from futher away.
>
> -james

Terry McIntyre
UNIX for hire
software development / systems administration / security

213-291-5169 or 2132915169 at tmomail.com ( text )
terrymcintyre at yahoo.com