[wplug] New processor Opinions

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Wed Aug 23 15:52:15 EDT 2006

Dear List,

I will be looking at upgrading my current system between now and
November.  With all the new processors, I was looking for some opinions
on what is the best "bang for buck".  I am currently running on an AMD
1GHz processor that was bought when they were in the $100 range, so that
gives you some idea.

The current server serves as BOTH my desktop machine, and as a server to
4 thin clients.  It is a home environment, with kids, so the usage is
email, gimp, web, kids web games (lots of flash sites) and some kids
games (Tux Type, Super Tux, etc), xmms for music, etc. all run on the
clients.

When we need to do "big stuff" (DVD playing, video editing, etc) then we
do in directly on the server, usually when no one else is on a client.

I have to say that 90% of the time, everything runs fine.  But lately,
with the kids getting older, and going to more Flash sites, things are
really starting to bog down.  Or when everyone is running big apps at
the same time (one client with OO, one with Nickjr.com, another with
Gimp, etc) things get bogged.

I am very confused with the whole dual core, dual processor, etc.

Where is the best "bang for buck" currently?  I would like some "food
for thought" so I can start to make a decision on all the other needs
(Motherboard, RAM, new HD, etc)

Thanks for your time for this somewhat OT, and very personalized (I know
that the real answer is "depends on what you are doing") question.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org