[wplug] The evilness of it all (Verizon OT post)

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Aug 23 11:46:02 EDT 2006

On 08/23/2006 11:36 AM, Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
>     Having lived in Boston, and paid $950/month for a one room apartment
> -- it is (or rather, was) worth it to pay that kind of rent, if your
> salary is more than double what you'd get here in Pittsburgh.
>
>     There are exceptions, but few of them.

I have to agree here -- often comparing the cost of living to the
average salaries can help making decisions.  Also, there is a
emotional/psychological cost to keep in mind -- does driving a couple
hours each way through LA traffic really make up for the six figure
salary?  Or does working in an office where even the janitors wear
custom-made italian suits bother you?

I know I prefer working in academia, even though the pay isn't as much
as industry, because I have a lot more intellectual freedom, and am not
constantly crushed under the bottom line.

The light of a hundred stars does not equal the light of the moon.