[wplug] The evilness of it all (Verizon OT post)

Burt E Reany breany at csc.com
Wed Aug 23 10:36:27 EDT 2006

   What is the point of the time.effort and costs associated with driving
out/aquiring all competitors if they CAN'T then do something like this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

             "Robert E.
             Coutch"
             <robert.coutch at ve                                          To
             rizon.net>                wplug at wplug.org
             wplug-bounces+bre
             any=csc.com at wplug                                     Subject
             .org                      Re: [wplug] The evilness of it all
                                       (Verizon OT post)

             08/22/2006 07:20
             PM

             Please respond to
             General user list
             <wplug at wplug.org>

Does anyone else find it AMAZING how close the new fee is in value to the
old
one.

Sort of a "you won't really notice us screwing you" kind of thing.

Isn't it interesting that it doesn't cost them a dollar less or more than
the
old fee but closer to a dime in difference.

It's simply amazing.

As someone else mentioned, it's similar to the oil companies saying "We are

not price gouging and by the way, Look! We just make record profits."

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 02:38 pm, Daniel McQuay wrote:
> here is their email about this new charge:
>
> Dear Valued Verizon Online Customer,
>
> Effective August 14, 2006, Verizon Online will stop charging the FUSF
> (Federal Universal Service Fund) recovery fee. We will stop being
assessed
> the fee by our DSL network suppliers. Therefore, we will no longer be
> recovering this fee from our customers. The impact of the FUSF fee is as
> follows: for customers of Verizon Online with service up to 768Kbps, the
> fee eliminated is $1.25 a month; for customers of Verizon Online with
> service up to 1.5 Mbps or 3Mbps, the fee eliminated is $2.83 a month
(based
> on current FUSF surcharge amounts).  On your bill that includes charges
for
> August 14, 2006 you will see either a partial FUSF Recovery Fee or no
FUSF
> line item at all, depending on your bill cycle.
>
> Starting August 26, 2006, Verizon Online will begin charging a Supplier
> Surcharge for all new DSL customers, existing customers with a DSL
monthly
> or bundle package, and existing DSL annual plan customers at the time
their
> current annual plan expires.  This surcharge is not a government imposed
> fee or a tax; however, it is intended to help offset costs we incur from
> our network supplier in providing Verizon Online DSL service. The
Supplier