[wplug] The evilness of it all (Verizon OT post)

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Aug 23 10:36:58 EDT 2006

On 08/23/2006 10:31 AM, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> Doug Green wrote:
>> In Shadyside you'll pay every
>> penny of 1200 for a decent 690sf apartment, and then some. PLUS
>> you'll have to pay outrageous utility bills.
>
> $1200/month for a choice pad in an excellent part of town.  Compare that
> to Manhatten, where $1200/month won't get you in the smallest door.
> Squirrel Hill is very reasonable, where $600/month will get you a very
> nice one bedroom.  Thats within walking distance (long walk, I'll give
> you that) of the Universities.  15 minute bus ride downtown.

I'm paying $1470/mo for a small 2 bedroom apartment in NJ, in a fairly
reasonably-priced neighborhood.  That's about twice as much as we paid
for a similar (but nicer) apartment in squirrel hill.  Most people
around here actually commute to NYC from Jersey because the apartment
prices are so prohibitive in the city.

It's just cheaper to live in Pittsburgh.  I don't know where the OP
found such a cheap place in california, but I know from my brother and
sister that you just can't find as cheap apartments there either.

The only problem I can see is if you've lived in Pittsburgh all your
life, and want to sell your house to buy a nice retirement place
somewhere out of state.  The money you get for your place might be
enough for a down payment on a smaller house in florida.

There is no royal road to geometry.
		-- Euclid