[wplug] The evilness of it all (Verizon OT post)

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Wed Aug 23 10:31:59 EDT 2006

Doug Green wrote:
> In Shadyside you'll pay every
> penny of 1200 for a decent 690sf apartment, and then some. PLUS
> you'll have to pay outrageous utility bills.

$1200/month for a choice pad in an excellent part of town.  Compare that
to Manhatten, where $1200/month won't get you in the smallest door.
Squirrel Hill is very reasonable, where $600/month will get you a very
nice one bedroom.  Thats within walking distance (long walk, I'll give
you that) of the Universities.  15 minute bus ride downtown.

> Buy a home in the Burgh, go ahead. It'll cost 10x less than a
> comparable home elsewhere. And in ten years, when "elsewhere" has
> appreciated 7-12% annually, your Pittsburgh home will be worth
> roughly what you paid for it.

I haven't sold my home, so I don't actually know what its worth (you
don't know until someone with the cash puts it down.)  But I have had it
reappraised.  And its appreciating as well as I could hope for.  Taxes
are really high, I know that.

So my personal experience does not confirm what you were saying, and
furthermore, I think all the negativity is unwarranted.

So if you want to bitch about my city, go do it on the Microsoft User's
Group list.