[wplug] Changing distros

Shane Liesegang shane at shaneliesegang.com
Mon Aug 21 11:11:35 EDT 2006

One of the servers I run is due for a hardware upgrade, and I'd like to
take the opportunity at the same time to do a rebuild, since it was
originally built when I knew less about Linux and is a bit... how do we
say... hacked together and unstable.

I'd like to switch it from Fedora to Ubuntu. (Not starting a distro war,
it's just the one I now prefer.) Because we're replacing the single hard
drive with a pair of drives that will be setup as RAID 1, the original
data will be untouched and available at all times. (And ready to be
swapped back in in case of failure. :-))

Does anybody have experience with this sort of thing? Is there a
known-good way to transfer user accounts, quotas, server configs, etc.
with a minimal amount of fuss?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I've never done this kind of
operation before.

	- SJML