[wplug] Looking for a decent NAS

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Aug 17 13:24:51 EDT 2006

> I'm trying to get a server set up with a NAS for backups.  I need to be
> able to mount the thing via NFS.  We need about 500G of space.
>
> The one we purchased is a POS.  Everytime the power flickers it loses its
> config.  When I reconfig it wipes the drives and we lose any previous
> backups.
>
> So I'm looking for recommendations for a NAS that's _NOT_ a POS.  Anyone?

 	EMC and NetApp have products on EBay. That might be overkill for
most of us on this list.

 	I generally buy a bunch of disks, and have a machine serve via
Samba, NFS, and Appletalk (yes, I use it sometimes) -- using GNU/Linux.

 	I don't think I'd trust any of the low-end units with my data,
especially if it isn't redundant.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net