[wplug] Mysterious locking

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling+ at pitt.edu
Thu Aug 10 15:30:38 EDT 2006

Thanks. Funny, I did a slocate for a *.lock file and previously
couldn't find it, but then when I just did ls in the dir it
was easy to spot. Still no idea of why it got locked in the
first place.

SFK

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 11:47:36AM -0400, beer wrote:
> From: beer <beer at cmu.edu>
> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:47:36 -0400 (EDT)
> To: General user list <wplug at wplug.org>
> Subject: Re: [wplug] Mysterious locking
>
> in that directory, there should be a file '.lock'
>
> if you remove that it should be unlocked.  it would be worth it to track down why you had a rogue lock to prevent it happening in the future.
>

> On Mon, August 7, 2006 11:28 am, Scott F. Kiesling said:
> > Hi all-
> >
> > I recently received the following message when trying to update my mairix
> > database:
> >
> > Database /home/kiesling/.mairix_database appears to be locked by
> > (pid,node,user)=(7219,miles,kiesling)
> >
> > There is no 7129 PID, and I never locked this file. I don't know much
> > about file locking and haven't found the key using Google. I'd appreciate
> > some pointers on getting this thing unlocked, so I can search my mail.
> >
> > Thanks Scott
> >
> > -- Scott F. Kiesling Associate Professor
> >
> > Department of Linguistics University of Pittsburgh

Scott F. Kiesling, PhD
Associate Professor
Department Chair (as of Sept. 1)
Director of Graduate Studies

Department of Linguistics
University of Pittsburgh

Graduate program information:
http://www.linguistics.pitt.edu/grad/index.html

Email: kiesling-at-pitt-dot-edu
Web: http://www.pitt.edu/~kiesling/skpage.html

2816 Cathedral of Learning     Phone: 1-412-624-5916
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA       Fax: 1-412-624-6130