[wplug] Multi-Monitor Support

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Sun Aug 6 12:53:36 EDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 12:48:29AM -0400, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get dual monitor support under Linux?

Dual-monitor support worked for me "out of the box" using the X.org
radeon driver and a (single) Radeon 9800, with one monitor on analog and
the other on DVI.  All that was required was to add
    Option "CRT2Position" "LeftOf" # or RightOf, Above, or Below
to the "Device" section of xorg.conf.  This makes the driver use
"MergedFB mode", which is what you want.  Without this option, it will
use clone mode (same image on both monitors).

It's a little more complicated if your monitors are different sizes
(see the MetaModes option in the radeon man page), but it still works
well.

There is experimental 3D support for this card, but it locks up
frequently, so I don't use it.  That's the only downside I've
experienced.