[wplug] Multi-Monitor Support

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Sun Aug 6 10:55:35 EDT 2006

On Aug 6, 2006, at 12:48 AM, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> Now here's the question.  Does anyone know how to get dual monitor
> support under Linux?  I know it can be done, but I haven't been
> able to
> do it myself.  I'm not opposed to supplementing my current AGP
> graphics
> card with a PCI one if I have to.  Or switch to a single AGP card that
> can do it correctly.  Ideally, if I have to buy any new hardware, I'd
> like to have dual DVI outputs (I can see a difference.)  I'd also like
> to keep it under $200.

I've used dual-monitor setups for quite a while, and the support is
getting better.  I know the Redhat/Fedora 'system-config-display'
command now has support for dual-head displays, I'm not sure if
SuSE's display widget does too (any SuSE admins here know?).

I believe the  proprietary ATI driver supports Xinerama natively, but
there are some custom configuration lines in the XF86Config or
xorg.conf.  The native Xorg driver supports Xinerama too.

Often, you can get a good reference config file with the native
drivers by running X -configure.  You can use it to define the
multiple screens, if it was detected.

Sadly, as far as helpful tools are today, I think the best way to get
a good dual-head display still requires breaking out the text editor
and lots of testing.