[wplug] SuSE Confusion

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Tue Aug 1 19:44:05 EDT 2006

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:12:30 -0400
"Robert E. Coutch" <robert.coutch at verizon.net> wrote:

> All this talk about installing an updated distro got me
> thinking..................
>
> Is there a distro things like MPlayer and Rosegarden on the CD's?
> I don't mean a crippled version of Mplayer.
>
> Lately a SuSE install requires a stop at packman.links2linux.org to
> grab all  the missing goodies.
>
> I'm interested in a distro that has it all (or almost all) and
> includes an  updater that keeps me notified of at least security
> updates.. There are so many distro's out there now, I thought one of
> you might be able  to help narrow it down a bit.
>
> Since I've been a SuSE only user since the 7 series, I'm just not
> familiar  with the other distro's.
>

> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Bob

I know that Mephis has a lot of those "necessities", but I don't use it
myself so not too sure.

I have been using Debian now since Redhat was at 7.3 (I jumped ship
after 7.2).  One of my favorite this is that even programs like Mplayer
can be added to my source list and therefore will be updated along with
everything else.

That is one of the reasons I left Redhat, I hated keeping track of all
the "seperate" RPMs I had installed.  Now I only install via apt.

Just my $0.02

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org