[wplug] x10 control

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Apr 13 08:46:30 EDT 2006

Mike wrote:
> X10 is a wireless setup that lets you control lights, appliances, etc..
> They have a serial port device that can control the other units..  I've
> only seen the propritery software for windows that comes with it..

I used "bottlerocket" on my linux home system to manage it.  It looks
like the new home page for it is here: http://www.linuxha.com/bottlerocket/
It's pretty old (it was recent when I was using it years ago) but
LinuxHA seems to have all sorts of interesting information on it.

> Then again, X10 is going or has gone out of business..  Maybe someone
> out there has done some reverse engineering?

I actually ended up buying a lot of my X10 stuff from radio shack.  Less
spam that way.  Sometimes the newer employees might not know what you're
talking about if you ask where the X10 modules are, but I've found them
in most stores.