[wplug] Warning: `//root/.bash_history' file size is zero

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Sun Apr 9 14:37:16 EDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 08:53:28PM +0300, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:

> trouble of breaking in [0] and then couldn't do anything better to
> cover his/her tracks than deleting the /root/.bash_history file. I

[snip]

> I've checked /var/log/auth.log and the only logins I see there are

Or perhaps .bash_history was the file s?he *didn't* modify.  An
experienced intruder (or a good rootkit) will clear auth.log and
likely trojan your binaries so that ``who'' won't reveal the intruder.

Hate to fuel your paranoia but IMHO it's more likely that the empty
.bash_history *is* part of an intrusion, that rather than "couldn't
think of anything better to do" your h4X0r has hidden h(is|er) traces
from the rest of the audit trail.

> So my question is quite open-ended I guess... Does anyone have any
> experience or any insight as to how that file could have been
> deleted/emptied, excluding a very careless attacker? Could this be a
> bug of some cron-invoked program?

Google "bash_history missing OR delete", and variants, and see what
you dig up.

> Thanks in advance for any help - I hope it turns out that I'm all
> stressed for no real reason :-]

If you're paid for adminning this box, it's part of the job
description.  Cops are suspicious; sysads are fascist and paranoid.

> only window of vulnerability is its public IP - the box acts as a
> VPN endpoint for multiple VPNs, so OpenVPN has to have some ports

With a VPN you have much wider exposure than you think -- what's the
state of all the remote endpoints?  What kind of astraddle-the-road
malware-beset PCs do your VPN users login from?  It's always possible
that somebody's VPN login has been keyboard-sniffed...

> on the public interface. The OpenVPN daemon is running as user:group

What about the *private* interface?  Any services to attack there?
The skillful bad guys attack you from *inside* your perimeter...

Sleep well tonight ;-)

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)