[wplug] Contents of CD missing in Linux, not XP

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Sep 28 14:15:26 EDT 2005

"James O'Kane" <jo2y at midnightlinux.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > (Side note, a _good_ burning program will allow you to create a CD with
> > BOTH Joliet & Rockridge extensions, making the CD work wonderfully in
> > both worlds.  mkisofs (which Linux uses) has this capability.  Unfortunately,
> > it seems like the majority of Windows burning software only does
> > Joliet.)
>
> (Side question, how much space does this metadata take? I'm not intimately
> familiar with the layout of iso9660, but I know there is a table of
> contents. Does all of this go there? Is the size of the TOC
> predetermined?)

(man ... I can't get anything done when people keep asking me questions
that I get curious about ... why are we talking in parenthesis?)

-rw-rw-r--  1 wmoran  wheel  24670208 Sep 28 14:04 joliet.iso
-rw-rw-r--  1 wmoran  wheel  24879104 Sep 28 14:05 jolietandrockridge.iso
-rw-rw-r--  1 wmoran  wheel  24434688 Sep 28 14:04 raw9660.iso
-rw-rw-r--  1 wmoran  wheel  24641536 Sep 28 14:04 rockridge.iso

OK.  What I did was unzip the gsoap 2.7 distro, which is ~24M, and
897 files, then turn that into 4 iso images.

The file names should be pretty self explanatory.  I made isos with
no extensions, only with rockridge, only with joliet, and with both.

AFAIK, the extensions only add metadata, which means the _number_ of
files/directories will have a far greater impact than the size.

Rockridge +206848 bytes (~ 231 bytes per entry)
Joliet    +235520 bytes (~ 263 bytes per entry)

It's intersting to note that the additional size required to make a
combined Rockridge + Joliet image is greater than the sum of those
two operations.

As to exactly where it's stored, that's more than I know, and more
research than I can take time to do today - although it's certainly
interesting ...

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies