[wplug] Contents of CD missing in Linux, not XP

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Sep 28 10:58:01 EDT 2005

"Scott F. Kiesling" <kiesling+ at pitt.edu> wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I have a CD with quicktime video that was burned for me, burned using XP
> or OSX. The filesystem is iso9660. When I mount the CD, all
> I see is this:
>

> kiesling # ls -lh /mnt/cdrom/
> total 2.0M
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 243K Sep 27 12:23 Desktop DB
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 1.8M Jul 16 07:55 Desktop DF
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 2.7K Sep 27 12:22 Pear_Film.mov
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 2.7K Sep 27 12:22 Pear_Film.mov
>

> This happens whether or not I am root.
>
> I put the cd in an XP machine, and it found the 284Mb video.
> It was the only thing there.
>
> Log messages when mounting:
>
> Sep 28 10:27:12 miles ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet
> Level 1
> Sep 28 10:27:12 miles ISOFS: changing to secondary root
>

> I've googled but see nowhere thisis dealt with (although I'm
> having trouble getting good hits -- it's mostly how to burn
> CDs in linux!).
>
> Any ideas why the real file is hidden in linux?

Research Joliet extensions.

ISO 9660 requires all filenames be 8.3 format.  As we all know, this
sucks.

So ISO 9660 has a provision for extensions.  Unix specifies Rockridge
extensions, which allow for long filenames, and unix ugw permissions.

Windows/DOS specifies Joliet extensions, which provides long filenames
and probably some other windowsy stuff.

So you're trying to access the CD via a non-native format in Linux.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Microsoft breaks the Joliet
standard by allowing longer filenames than Joliet allows (I could
be remembering wrong).  It's also possible that the Linux Joliet
drivers aren't full-featured.  I expect, however, that you'll find
more detailed answers if you search for things like "linux joliet"
or the like.

(Side note, a _good_ burning program will allow you to create a CD with
BOTH Joliet & Rockridge extensions, making the CD work wonderfully in
both worlds.  mkisofs (which Linux uses) has this capability.  Unfortunately,
it seems like the majority of Windows burning software only does
Joliet.)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies