[wplug] root password isn't working :(

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Sep 27 12:50:10 EDT 2005

Russ Schneider <russ at sugapablo.com> wrote:
> What should I be checking to see if someone other than my own stupidity
> (changing the password and forgetting I did it) did this?

You can check the logs (/var/log/security, IIRC), but any self-
respecting script kiddie will have sanitized them.  There are a
number of live CD distributions such as Knoppix STD, Auditor, and
INSERT that allow you to do some forensic investigation.  See also
<http://www.wplug.org/meetings/one-meeting?wp_meeting_id=3187> for
Beth Lynn's presentation on the subject.

One thing you really should do is to upgrade from 9.2 to a newer
release - I don't believe it's getting security updates from
Mandriva any longer.