[wplug] spam score for comcast

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 27 12:13:08 EDT 2005

On 09/27/2005 11:12 AM, Ken Rambler wrote:
> If you are using Comcast and the question is how to get an IP address that
> is not blocked, you have to get a business static IP address. You can have
> up to 5 IP's on one router/cable modem. It acts as the gateway as well.
>
> If this is what you want, let me know for more details.

Caution: comcast-- has a habit of giving out 'static' IP addresses that
they then change. 3 times in 2 years on a 'business' class account.
Without warning.

Caution: comcast-- has a habit of giving out 'static' addresses from
known dynamic netblocks

Caution: getting hold of a comcast-- network person who is even vaguely
knowledgable about networking in general, let alone about their own
environment is a herculean task.

On the other hand, comcast++ is cheap and fast. When it works. And so
long as you don't need anything interesting, like say, reverse DNS(!).
And you don't mind their caching/proxying.

--
Duncan Hutty
System Administrator, ECE

Please use informative subject lines