[wplug] spam score for comcast

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Sep 27 11:36:27 EDT 2005

Dane Miller wrote:
> We use Comcast for bandwidth and First Net for email/web hosting.
> Internal emails (i.e. to other olneyfriends.org addresses) get a high
> spam score when sent with a POP/SMTP client like Thunderbird.  The spam
> score is driven primarily by the fact that our dynamic IP from Comcast
> appears in a dsbl.org black list.  We run no Internet facing services,
> and should not be black listed.  But more importantly, we are connecting
> to our First Net mail server via SMTP AUTH, which should prove that the
> email is legit.
>
> Several questions materialize...
> 1. Does this problem affect external email as well? (I need to test with
> someone running Spam Assassin)

Probably.

> 2. How does one go about removing their dynamic IP from black lists?

You don't.  Dynamic IPs are on the blacklists because one can never know
who will be using them.  If you can't guarantee that you'll have that
address all the time, the blacklists aren't going to change.

> 3. What the freak?  SMTP AUTH is supposed to cure this problem, right?

Yes, but you're using Firefox.

I'm not terribly impressed with Firefox's filtering, but take a grain of
salt and consider that Firefox isn't meant to be ready to filter right off
the installation, you're supposed to train it.

I've been arguing against systems that automatically dump stuff in to
"trash" folders for two years now, Firefox not being the least of my
complaints ...

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies