[wplug] CUPS with LPR

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Tue Sep 27 08:53:44 EDT 2005

> Anyway, I'm guessing the problem is that the CUPS version of lpr is in
> /usr/local/something and your path finds the BSD lpr first.  This can
> be fixed a number of ways ... moving the BSD lpr to lpr.bsd
> (or something)
> and symlinking the CUPS lpr is one technique.  Others are possible.
> Use which(1) to verify this before you change things.

The FreeBSD way of making CUPS the default print daemon is to add these
two lines to your /etc/make.conf:

CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
NO_LPR=yes

The first line tells the CUPS port to remove the BSD lpr when you do the
'make install', the second line prevents the reinstalling of the BSD lpr
from /usr/src.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office