[wplug] CUPS with LPR

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Sep 26 16:19:02 EDT 2005

I am delving into the intricacies of Unix printing, owing to the fact that
my lab recently purchased a pretty fancy color laserjet printer (it's
practically the size of a TV).

I have the printer set up on CUPS and it works in SAMBA -- which was quite
an adventure, but at least I learned about the 'rpcclient' command, along
with a little bit more about how Windows does its secret stuff.

But I can't get the other end to work: printing a post-script file from
the command line.

CUPS's own documentation says to use the commands 'lp' and 'lpr' -- but
they complain that lpd, the daemon, isn't running.  I would accept that I
need to start a separate daemon IN ADDITION to cupsd (which IS running),
but I doubt that because the CUPS documentation doesn't mention such a
thing anywhere.

So -- is that what I'm supposed to do? Start lpd along with cupsd on boot?
or is there some other 'frontend' command to CUPS that I'm missing?

The computer is FreeBSD, but that shouldn't matter, right?

Thanks in advance,
-Brandon