[wplug] root password isn't working :(

Greg Akins gakins at insomnia-consulting.org
Mon Sep 26 14:08:46 EDT 2005

I had used Mandrake 9.2 for a few years; but am still a little iffy on these
answers.. I'll try.

Rebooting gives the option to "safely" recover the filesystem from journal.
Just watch the logging as it rolls by during boot, you have about 5 seconds to
answer 'Y' so watch closely if you reboot after powering down the box.

Mandrake also offers boot options right at startup linux, failsafe and something
else?  I think failsafe gives a "boot:" prompt.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-q-and-a-linux-single.html

> Ok, forgive these questions, but reading the above:
>
> a) How should I reboot?  I can't type in "reboot" because I'm not root.
> Everything I know about Linux tells me don't turn it off from the button
> on the box while it's running.
>
> b) When I do boot up, it goes to a point where it asks me for a login.  I
> never see a prompt that says "boot:".
>

> --
> [ Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)
> ]