[wplug] Wiring Question

Weber, Larry A laweber at switch.com
Mon Sep 26 07:28:49 EDT 2005

The CAT-5 and phone line are both twisted paired wire. When properly
terminated they are designed to cancel common mode noise.  Most phones and
modems are designed to provide the correct termination so you should have no
problems.  Impulse noise can sometimes be a problem so as previously
recommended I would not want to rely on a data connection at the time you
are turning on or off high inductance loads, i.e. motors. You would also
want to avoid any phase controlled A.C. loads.  Light dimmers are
particularly noisy.

-laweber