[wplug] Recovering XP files with Knoppix

Gregsim gregsim at telerama.com
Sun Sep 25 19:00:47 EDT 2005

Hi,

My sister's XP laptop had a hard drive failure during a defrag operation.  She would like to be able to back up her data before attempting to reformat this hard drive.

Since nobody I asked could tell me how to slave a laptop hard drive, I suggested she try Knoppix.  When that didn't work for her, I downloaded Knoppix 4.0 and tried to read my own NTFS hard drive.  Knoppix recognized the drive as /hda/dell, but I was not able to find any files.  Do I need to add some sort of NTFS driver?  Is there a configuration screen somewhere?

Thanks,

Greg