[wplug] codec retrieval in Linux

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Thu Sep 22 14:31:46 EDT 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Matthew J. Hughes wrote:

> Hiya,
>   I went with Brian to the PACC meeting Sunday. One of the things we did in
> the demo of Xandros was pull some video content off the Internet. The codec
> for wmv files were not yet installed and Brian pulled them down from some
> website. I was wondering what that site was and what do others do for playing
> video. I haven't really looked into this before. Is there a howto? Does
> anybody have experience with difficulty in playing videos? Tips, pointers, or
> suggestions to relevant material would be good. Shoot I don't even know if I
> am phrasing that right. Is it codec for wmv files or is it described
> differently?

Xandros uses debian packages, yes?

If so, all you need to do is add a new repository to /etc/apt/sources.list
which stores the w32codecs package.  Do a google search for 'w32codecs apt
repository' or somesuch.

So, just add the repository to /etc/apt/sources.list and then run:
# apt-get update
# apt-get install w32codecs

There may be other distro-specific ways too.

-Brandon