[wplug] OT: locked online music!?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Sep 22 12:39:58 EDT 2005

Douglas Green <diego96 at mac.com> wrote:
> The whole thing reminds me of when blank audio cassettes first came
> out- they were going to "ruin" the record industry, and everyone
> would dup their vinyl. Then the built-in tape recorders came with
> record players and there was another whimper from the recording

Obligatory quote:
"I say to you that the VCR is to the American film producer and the
 American public as the Boston Strangler is to the woman home alone."
            -- Jack Valenti, MPAA <http://cryptome.org/hrcw-hear.htm>

Funny, I don't remember the Boston Strangler showering his victims
with billions of dollars.

If you read the testimony, it's pretty shameless the way Valenti
engages in Japan-bashing.  (For the youngsters, in those days we
didn't have a War on Terror so we had to make do with railing against
Japanese business.)