[wplug] OT: locked online music!?

Douglas Green diego96 at mac.com
Thu Sep 22 11:52:21 EDT 2005

While I have no comment about the illegality of the DRM (actually,
they DO allow you to make a "private copy" by burning lossless audio
CDs), my beef with the DRM is that it is a <use> limitation, and not
a <distribution> limitation. I'm perfectly ok with my name and serial
number being tagged onto purchased music- if it gets distributed
illegally, then they can trace it back to me and hold me accountable.
Fine- I'm good with that. I'm NOT ok with someone telling me that I'm
not allowed to listen to my music on my MP3 CD player!

Regardless of the legality of the DRM per-se, I found this to be a
very restrictive and unnecessary limitation. In the case of Apple, it
comes close to forcing people to buy an iPod to fully enjoy their
music library (as opposed to one disc at a time). Clearly, I'm not so
rabid that I'm accusing them of that. They haven't crossed that line
(yet), but they definitely make it easier on the consumer if they buy
the Apple iPod (starting at just 99.99$, batteries not included).

The original point of the thread was to point out this limitation. It
was not obvious to me AT ALL that my purchased music could not be
burned onto an MP3 compilation CD. I'm sure some people were
completely aware of this problem- but in general I've found that not
to be the case.

-D