[wplug] OT: locked online music!?

Douglas Green diego96 at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 15:48:09 EDT 2005

The surprise/anger comes because they don't exactly advertise this
particular limitation, and it's not an obvious extension of anything
in the DRM. In fact, it only existed since iTunes 4.6. Previously, I
was able to burn my purchased music onto an MP3 CD. They (Apple) are
very open about the keys (tracking ownership, 5 max computers, etc).
But they completely bury the fact that you cannot burn iTunes
purchased music onto an MP3 CD. On the contrary, visit http://
www.apple.com/itunes/burn/ and check out the double-speak for
yourself. Here's my favorite quote:

"Mix up new tracks with your existing MP3 collection to make killer
compilations. You can burn songs from the iTunes Music Store an
unlimited number of times."

Of course, they never directly imply that those two back-to-back
sentences are related logistically. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple
and their DRM is supposedly more liberal than others. This thread
could be generalized to <any> fair-use restriction, but my beef here
is specifically with the service I used (and I suspect I'm not the
only one).

The DRM specifies that "multiple perfect copies" are prohibited. AAC
to MP3 is a lossy conversion, so they aren't perfect copies. Some
would even argue that MP3s are noticeably inferior. Furthermore, In
this case they are for personal use and not for distribution of any
kind. The goal of the DRM is to control distribution. There's no
particular reason to prohibit this conversion, especially since the
files can be back-traced to me.

So, why not burn a music CD, then re-import it you ask? Primarily
because I shouldn't have to. Secondary reasons are: it's a waste of
drive space, it makes annoying duplicate entries in the library, it's
a waste of my time, and CDs. In fact, I buy online specifically
because I don't want a bunch of CD's and plastic lying around.

The whole thing reminds me of when blank audio cassettes first came
out- they were going to "ruin" the record industry, and everyone
would dup their vinyl. Then the built-in tape recorders came with
record players and there was another whimper from the recording
industry (despite the fact that a portion of the blank sales goes to
them). Then dual-cassette units were the rage. Oh no- now people can
duplicate their own tapes! Then, along came CD... unmatched until, oh
crap- it's a... a... a CD-R! Boo hooo! I suspect that every new
technology will ultimately face this trend, but only recently have
they been able to impose fair-use restrictions on the consumer.

So, that's what it's all about: FAIR-USE. I'd be going on a limb to
say it's cornerstone of open-source, but it's gotta be close. :)

I say- Thank Dog for the JHymn project!