[wplug] Apache HTTP Access issue

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Wed Sep 21 15:34:14 EDT 2005

I have a small website. I want to have the home page public / anonymous
accessable. Any subpages will then require a password.

Example

www.stupid.com/index.html and all files are public which are found in
/var/www/html/stuipid/*

BUT

www.stupid.com/members/index.html and all content will be only usable
via "stupid" group /var/www/html/stupid/members/*

 I have read

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/auth.html#basicworks

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/html/97/08/index2a_page2.html?tw=ba
ckend

Which seemed to make the process seem easy.

******************************

I created in /var/www/http/stupid/members/

-rw-r--r--  1 apache stupid  126 Sep 21 13:53 .htaccess

-rw-r--r--  1 apache stupid 1.1K Sep 20 14:24 .htgroup

-rw-r--r--  1 apache stupid   20 Sep 21 14:52 .htpasswd

And in each file are the proper entries (IMHO)

[root at venus Members]# cat .htaccess

AuthUserFile .htpasswd

AuthGroupFile .htgroup

AuthName stupid

AuthType Basic

[root at venus Members]# cat .htgroup

stupid: wisej bob henry

[root at venus Members]# cat .htpasswd

wisej:nMiDsEWj8nA2gw

bob:st2gMRbwkfGWe4g

*****************

When I go to the site I get the first page fine but all urls which
direct into the /var/www/html/stupid/members directory are:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /members/stupidinfo.html on this
server.

I also googled and found refernaces to change the /etc/httpd/conf/
httpd.conf entry of:

#    AllowOverride None

     AllowOverride All

But this had no effect.