[wplug] More info Re: apt-get dist-upgrade broken

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Sep 19 16:43:30 EDT 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Chester R. Hosey wrote:

> Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>>
>> But any suggestions to get my computer working in the meantime would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> regards,
>> -Brandon
>
> You didn't make it clear whether you wanted to have udev installed, or
> whether it was required by something else. It only makes sense on 2.6
> kernels, as I understand it.

I didn't ask for it -- I took a leap of apt-faith.  The dependency comes
from hald, which I also didn't ask for, but which I suspect is some form
of gnome-bloat.

> Either way, your kernel is not udev-enabled. Your choices are:
>
> 1) dpkg --purge udev, since you're not using it anyways.
>
> 2) (If something else depends on udev, and you can't purge it):
>
>   mkdir /dev/.udevdb/   # This directory makes udev.preinst
>                         # that udev is running, so it skips
>                         # the kernel version check

Funny thing.  I have udev-0.053 installed, and the /dev/.udevdb directory
already exists.  So that doesn't help.

But I tried dpkg --purge udev and that seemed to work.  When I followed it
with apt-get -f install, it installed the new udev without complaining,
and then when configuring, said 'udev requires kernel >= 2.6.12.  Not
starting' and that was it.

In between the two times, I in fact installed a 2.6.12 kernel, but
couldn't get my wireless card driver to work...

  {

     I recompiled my wireless card driver (acx_pci.ko) with the new kernel
libraries, but when I tried to load the module it complained "disagrees
about definition of symbol struct_module".  The acx100 help page says
that's because the kernel headers used in compiling the module didn't
match the running kernel (not true) or that there was a compiler mismatch
between the two compiles.

    Sure enough, my version of gcc is 4.0.1-2 and the kernel's (cat
/proc/version) was 4.0.1-6.  Pretty damn trivial, you would think...

    In any case, I would love to move to a 2.6.12 kernel because I have
some ACPI issues.  But I don't know how to solve this problem.  If you can
help me out, I'd appreciate it.  But then, maybe it's not worth the
hassle.

}

Anyway, so I'm back to a 2.6.11 kernel and apt-get dist-upgrade completed
successfully.  I'm about to enter multiuser mode... and everything seems
to work!

Thanks for help.

-Brandon