[wplug] More info Re: apt-get dist-upgrade broken

Chester R. Hosey chosey at nauticom.net
Mon Sep 19 12:58:24 EDT 2005

Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>
>> I was brave last night and tried to run apt-get dist-upgrade
>> (currently running Debian testing, somewhere between sarge and
>> whatever).  When I checked on the computer this morning it had
>> generated an error and stopped. The error was that the 'udev' package
>> requires a kernel greater than 2.6.12 to install, but the kernel
>> hadn't been upgraded yet.
>
> I'm beginning to think this is a problem in the current debian
> repository, and I should take it to their list.
>
> But any suggestions to get my computer working in the meantime would be
> appreciated.
>
> regards,
> -Brandon

You didn't make it clear whether you wanted to have udev installed, or
whether it was required by something else. It only makes sense on 2.6
kernels, as I understand it.

Either way, your kernel is not udev-enabled. Your choices are:

1) dpkg --purge udev, since you're not using it anyways.

2) (If something else depends on udev, and you can't purge it):

   mkdir /dev/.udevdb/   # This directory makes udev.preinst
                         # that udev is running, so it skips
                         # the kernel version check

   apt-get install udev  # This may work, if it does not...
   apt-get -f install    # ...then this should.

One of the two should work. I also cannot find packaged source for 2.6
in testing. The kernel-package package is not what you want; it's for
those compiling their own kernels who wish to generate Debian packages
which contain them. The kernel-headers you found are probably to satisfy
build dependencies for programs which require 2.6 headers to build. You
shouldn't need them.

I can't find anything that depends on udev, so I'm a little unclear why
you'd want to have it installed on your system. Please clarify, or at
least let everyone know how things are going.

Good luck!

Chet