[wplug] More info Re: apt-get dist-upgrade broken

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Sep 19 12:10:23 EDT 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:

> I was brave last night and tried to run apt-get dist-upgrade (currently
> running Debian testing, somewhere between sarge and whatever).  When I
> checked on the computer this morning it had generated an error and stopped.
> The error was that the 'udev' package requires a kernel greater than 2.6.12
> to install, but the kernel hadn't been upgraded yet.
>
> I tried rebooting, but the new 2.6.13 kernel was not available on the grub
> menu; I take that to mean that it was not installed.
>
> I moved into /var/cache/apt/archives and tried to dpkg -i the most recent
> kernel package (which I think was named kernel-debian-all-9 or something like
> that; running in single-user mode so I can't check just now; if it's
> important let me know and I will reply) and there were about two dozen unmet
> dependencies, including make, which was not configured, perl, which was not
> configured, and so on.
>
> I really don't know where in the process the error occurred, so I'm afraid to
> boot into multiuser mode until I get the dist-upgrade finished.  But I am
> totally lost.  What do I do next?

Well.. not totally lost, but fairly lost.  I managed to get
kernel-package_9.007_all.deb to install, but it didn't provide diddly in
terms of new kernel versions.  One package that WAS installed was
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.13+0rc3-1.1_i386.deb , but there doesn't seem to
be a corresponding kernel-image-2.6.13*.  There is a 'linux-image-2.6.12*'
(why would they change the name from kernel-image to linux-image between
2.6.11 and 2.6.12?)

But I can't use apt to install it because apt complains about broken
dependencies with udev_0.068-2_i386.deb, and tells me to try apt-get -f
install, which gives me the kernel dependency error.

Running dpkg -i --force-depends udev_0.068-2_i386.deb does not suppress
the error.

I'm beginning to think this is a problem in the current debian repository,
and I should take it to their list.

But any suggestions to get my computer working in the meantime would be
appreciated.

regards,
-Brandon