[wplug] [OT] eLisp help

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 14:58:08 EDT 2005

On 9/18/05, Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone here can help me a little bit with a personal
> project regarding emacs Lisp.

I'll say what I can. I studied eLisp briefly, but never finished
making my way through the manual. Based on what I learned, though, I
could offer you some tips.

> I would like to find [or, I suppose, write] a minor mode for emacs which
> will act as a keystroke recorder, one that stores time information [ and
> cuts out time spent not as the focus ] so that you can "record" the
> process of writing a document and then "replay" it, watching the editor's
> modifications .. and hence, thought processes .. as they develop.

Perhaps if you wrote a function that's called from a change hook
variable, or examined the undo list from time to time, you can capture
the keystrokes and record the time that they're captured.

Same info, different sites:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/info2www?(elisp)Change%20Hooks
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/elisp-manual-21/elisp_507.html

> Does such a thing exist?

Don't know. Is there a repository for eLisp scripts out there
somewhere? This might help, in general:
http://www.emacswiki.org

> If not, would anyone be interested in helping me write one?  I know very
> little about Lisp -- practically nothing that's not encompassed in
> customizing one's .emacs file.

Sorry to say, I have little time right now for an outside project.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>