[wplug] dist-upgrade on Debian Etch, XFree86 -> x.org

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Tue Sep 13 16:47:19 EDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:01:00PM -0400, Brian Sammon wrote:
> So, if I do a dist-upgrade from sarge to etch, apt will remove all packages
> that I had installed that do not have etch versions available?

No, just the ones that need to be replaced in order to satisfy
dependencies.

For example, xserver-org says:
    Replaces: xserver-common (<< 4.0), libxfont-xtt, xserver-xfree86
    Provides: xserver, xserver-xfree86

So if any other package depends on the virtual package "xserver", or
on xserver-xfree86, apt should do the upgrade.