[wplug] OT: locked online music!?

Douglas Green diego96 at mac.com
Tue Sep 13 08:26:53 EDT 2005

> I make a big deal out of this because, as you should know, open source
> licenses are all based on copyright law. I want to honor that legal
> backbone as well as I possibly can.

While I generally agree with the above, the right to "own" and market
intellectual property (copyright law, for example) is balanced by
what is considered fair and reasonable use by the consumer. I believe
(strongly) that this issue is an example in which they want their
copyrights to infringe upon my rights as a consumer. More to the
point, I would never knowingly buy a CD that played on only one
stereo. Currently, my computer is happily converting all those locked
AAC files to unlocked, scrubbed mp3s for my personal use (via JHymn).
This is not a lossless conversion BTW, so I'm STILL not getting
exactly what I paid for! Can you imagine this kind of business model
in any other industry- like a car that only works on SOME streets (up
to 5 to be exact)?? Of course not, because nobody would tolerate it.
IMHO, they've gone too far and need to get their wings clipped

-D